The pre-travel worries
21st June 2016
No matter how much prior preparation, research and organisation I do before a trip I always worry. I call them the pre-travel worries.
They normally happen a few days before we are due to fly, and usually something sets me off. For instance, this time it was Tyrone texting me to ask what hotel we were staying in, because someone at work asked. I instantly assumed there was something wrong with the hotel and start researching it again (even though I’ve already done it before booking the holiday) on TripAdvisor.
And there was one slightly negative review (I’m talking one out of thousands where some has rated it 4 out 5 stars because they didn’t like the hand sanitiser in the restaurant) so I went into a complete melt down and instantly assumed I’d made a terrible mistake choosing that hotel.
So, that’s where it starts. Then it escalates to…
- Will the airport transfers go smoothly?
- Will we make it to the airport on time?
- Will these boarding passes I’ve printed off myself scan properly?
- Have I got my passport?
- Will my luggage be overweight?
- Will I get stopped at security?
- Will my flight be delayed?
- Will the flight be okay?
- Will there be any turbulence?
- Will there be any screaming kids of the flight?
- Will my luggage make it to the other side?
- What time will we get to the hotel?
- What’s the hotel going to be like?
- Will it be quiet?
- Will my neighbours be respectable?
- Will the food be nice?
- Will there be enough vegetarian choice for Tyrone?
- Will the bed be comfortable?
- Will the pool side be busy?
- Is the hotel far from shops?
- Have I packed everything I need?
- Is my house okay?
Yep. I’m a worrier.
I think the reason I worry so much is because we save all year for a holiday, and wait all year for holiday season to arrive, so I just want it to be perfect and completely worth it. I also worry because, as the chief organiser in our relationship, I feel responsible if something goes wrong.
I wish I could be as laid back as Tyrone.
How do I deal with these worries? Not very well to be honest, but I’m learning.
First up, I acknowledge the fact that yes, things can wrong, but there are many things I can do to reduce the chance of these incidences happening.
Then I tell myself that things do wrong and they have gone wrong in the past. For instance, the hotel we stayed at when we went to Italy as few years ago was bloody awful! But none the less, we made the most most it and overall we had a lovely holiday. We learned our lessons from this experience, and we use that knowledge each time we book a holiday.
Basically it’s just a case of giving myself pep talks and reassuring myself. Sometimes I talk my thoughts through with Tyrone (sorry Ty!) and I find that really helps too.
Once I get there and I have a cocktail in my hand I’ll be fine.
Do you worry or get stressed about travel?