Empfire in 2016 (plus reader survey results)
5th January 2016
Last month I ran my first ever reader survey to find out what keeps my readers coming back to my blog and the type of posts you love and hate. I also wrote a little summary of Empfire in 2015 including my highlights and the lessons I learned that year.
Following on from both of these posts, I would like to talk a little bit more about what will be happening on Empfire in 2016. I have quite a few plans and ideas based on the results of the survey and based on my own thoughts and feelings, so hopefully I will be able to write some great posts in 2016.
There was a clear consensus on the type of posts you like reading, and much to my delight it was my personal posts. This is great news because before I launched the survey I was already planning on writing more personal posts this year, so it’s good to know that you like reading them as much as I love sharing them.
You also like my posts on travel, lifestyle, blogging, DIY (although I haven’t wrote any in a while) and Liverpool. This is also excellent news!
In terms of the type of posts you enjoy reading the least, some of you said you didn’t like my posts that featured tips, including tips relating to student life. That’s totally fine by me. I have realised that my “tips” may come across as being a little preachy, and instead of saying “you must do this…” I would rather just reflecting on the things that did or didn’t work for me.
In addition, some people said they didn’t like posts relating to blogging and coding, mainly because they were of no interest to them. I can completely understand this. Coding won’t be of interest to everyone, but as a web developer it’s something that I plan to continue writing about, mainly for personal reflection and development reasons.
It’s interesting because some people love it when I write about blogging, and some people aren’t interested at all. I think this is proof that you can’t please everyone and that most people will just pick and choose what they read on a blog. I know this because I do it myself; I only read what interests me.
However, it was great to get a real insight into what my readers enjoy and why they keep returning to my blog, so I am really grateful to anyone who took part in my survey. Thank you so much!
Changes to Empfire in 2016…
- Slight change of URL – At some point this year, empfire.co.uk will become my main domain rather than empfire.info. However, you will be able to access the blog using both .co.uk and .info.
- Change of layout – Sometime in the spring there will be a new, super fancy layout here on the blog. I’m going to use all my new found development skills to make something special.
- Change of focus – I’m going back to the old days and focusing more on personal posts. I will be blogging for personal development and personal reflection. But of course there will still be travel posts and posts about Liverpool!
- A more relaxed posting schedule, sometimes – My aim is to feel less guilty on weeks when I just don’t feel like blogging.
- No advertising – I’m removing my sidebar advertisements, including adverts provided by Google AdSense. Sponsored posts will also be few and far between, and I may stop writing them altogether. Let’s see.
I’m really excited for this new year, both in terms of my blog and my personal life, and I can’t wait to document my journey on the blog. I’m also taking part in a 365 Instagram so don’t forget to join me on there to get more insight into my life.
Do you have any plans for your blog in 2016?
Enjoyed this post? Why not share it...
Leave a comment