Internet Throwbacks – About pages
7th February 2017
Internet Throwbacks is a mini series in which I reminisce about stupid and embarrassing things I did online throughout my teenage years.
First of all, I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who read, commented and shared my last Internet Throwbacks post on emails I once sent. I’m so glad you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I laughed until I cried writing that post, as I did when writing this one.
This edition of my Internet Throwbacks series is all about “About” pages.
My first “real” blog was on a website called Summer Dream, but it was closed down by my host without any notice (thanks for that), and because I didn’t use WordPress at the time I had no way to export my posts, so most have them have disappeared forever.
I searched for Summer Dream on Way Back Machine and fortunately I managed to find a few posts and pages from back in the day. One of these pages happened to be my About page.
I knew it was going to be cringe worthy before I started reading it because 8 years ago I was a super uncool teenager. Honestly, it didn’t disappoint, and I just had to share some of my favourite snippets from this page.
So, let me take you back to 2009. I was 15 years old, single, and still living in Shropshire. I had an unhealthy obsession with a certain film (you know the one) and I was trying painfully hard to be cool.
- Explaining that I was called Holly because I was born near Christmas. You can all sleep at night now you know that facinating bit of information.
- “You’ll probably hear me complaining a lot about where I live, but seriously, there’s nothing here!” – I still feel the same way about my home town to be honest. But I moved out 5 years ago.
- “I love the sun which you don’t really get in the UK so we have to travel abroad to get the heat.” – Just stating the god damn obvious!
- “I have brown hair and blue eyes, although they seem to be changing colour (the eyes, not the hair).” – I thought I was a comedy genius.
- “I’m quite tall..” – Then I started dating Tyrone who’s 6 foot 2 and I realised I wasn’t that tall at all.
- “I have CDH (in other words a dislocated hip) which is gay.” – I hate the fact I used the word “gay” in a negative way. I hate myself for that and it’s habit that I quickly grew out of.
- Also on the topic of my CDH/DDH I said “Actually its not so bad now.”. Oh boy, how I miss those days.
- “I speak English, German and a little bit of Spanish.” – I read this one to Tyrone and he said I barely speak English these days! I can barely remember any of the German or Spanish I learned at school.
- “I have an obsession with handbags. I have so many!” – I did, but this changed dramatically as I got older. I now have about 4 in total.
- “I have a fridge magnet that says ‘I’ve shopped all my life and still have nothing to wear’ which is completely true.” – It’s still true.
- “Most of the time I wear a tshirt, jeans, my life guard hoodie and a pair of converse.” – I had this hoodie that I bought on a holiday to Cornwall and on the back it said “Life Guard Holly” and I thought I was the coolest kid in school. I wasn’t.
- “In my spare time I love building websites” – And now I get paid to do it. I’m winning at life!
- “I watch a lot of TV and films” – Translated: I watch the same couple of films over and over again.
- “I play golf and I love to ice skate.” – I’ve only been ice skating about 3 times in my entire life but I did love it and I thought it made me sound cool.
- “I try to surf when I’m on holiday, because its the only chance I get.” – I had a body board and a wave about half a meter in height, but I classed that as surfing because I wanted to be apart of the surf culture. I also swanned around in a fake Roxy t-shirt that I bought on holiday one year.
- “I am a huge Heath Ledger fan as you have probably worked out already!” – Was it my constant use of Heath Ledger images in my layouts that gave that one away?
- “I’m not a chav or an emo or anything like that. I just wear what I like and listen to any music.” – I tried so hard to be different it hurt. I cared way too much about what people thought of me.
- “I hate my braces too. I’ve had them on for nearly a year and they’ve broke about 6 times.” – True. I once broke my brace on a chocolate teacake. You know the ones that are made of marshmallows? Yep, them. I broke it on the softest food on the planet.
- I listed X2 as one of my favourite films. I just had to ask Tyrone what X2 was because I couldn’t remember. Clearly I loved it a lot.
- Under favourite music I mentioned Katy Perry. Reading this back to myself made me feel a little bit sick. Luckily this was buried in the list of decent bands that I still love today like The Who and The Police.
- God awful photos of myself, like these…
I liked taking photos where I cut off half of my face. And check out that mirror selfie with my LG Shine.
Well, I hope you feel like you know me a little bit better now!
I would be fascinated to know if you have ever had anything this cringe worthy on your about page, so let me know if you can remember, or you can dig out the dirt on Way Back Machine!
And don’t worry, I’ve got an Internet Throwbacks post coming in the near future featuring some of my old blog posts.