A review of 2017
23rd Dec 2017
It’s that time of year again; it’s time for my yearly review post!
2017 hasn’t been the best of years for me, and I’ll be glad the back of it. But today I want to look past the negatives and focus on the positive things that have happened this year.
So let’s take a walk down memory lane and reminisce about what’s happened over the last 12 months…
- I celebrated my 23rd birthday. We played crazy golf and ate lots of Mexican food. It was the best birthday I’ve had in a long time. 🎂
- My medical negligence legal case came to an end after 4 and a half years. I got the outcome I wanted, and I’m just glad it’s all over. ⚖️
- I gave Empfire a makeover and finally made it responsive AND mobile friendly. 👩💻
- I started going swimming again for the first in years. I now try to go weekly and it’s by far one of the best decisions I’ve made in 2017. I love it! 🏊♀️
- I went to see Sunny Afternoon (a musical about The Kinks) with my friend Becky. 🥁
- I drove into Wales for the first time and I didn’t get a speeding ticket (if you’ve ever been to Wales you’ll know this is an achievement!!) 🚗🏴
- I celebrated 6 years of Empfire, and I ran a little giveaway to celebrate. 🎉
- I got new retainer braces made to replace my old ones. This is such a boring thing to spend money on, but a necessity and something I’d been meaning to get sorted for years. 😁
- I taught myself to knit and started knitting myself a scarf. I thought I’d finish it in time for winter, but nope! 👚✂️
- I ditched my blogging schedule and it took a way a lot of the stress of blogging. 🗓️
- I found myself an amazing hairdresser and I no longer find going to the hairdressers such an anxious experience. 💇
- We went to see Brian Cox live. ✨🔭
- I went on a first aid course for work so now I’m a qualified first aider until 2020. 🚑
- Tyrone got a 1st in his degree and started working as a web developer. 🎓👨💻
- I had my first steroid injection in my hip in over a year! This is an incredible achievement considering at one point I was having them every couple of months. The longer I can go between injections, the longer they will be effective for. 💉
- We went to the British Music Experience exhibition which is on in Liverpool which was facinating, and I highly recommend you visit if you are a music fanatic like me. 🇬🇧🎼
- We went to see Hans Zimmer at the Echo Arena. It was incredible and quite emotional. 🎹
- We bought a house! And my goodness was it stressful! 🏡💸
- Tyrone and I played photographers at his uncle’s wedding. I’m not sure I’m cut out for wedding photography but I enjoyed the experience. 💒📸
- We moved into our house. We had a bit of a nightmare when our removals guy didn’t turn up on time (two hours late!) but we made it in the end. 🏡
- I met up with Pauline and Amy (in real life!) and we spent a day in Manchester together. 👯
- Tyrone and I went to New York for our summer holiday. 🇺🇸🗽🚕 We managed to cram so much in while we were there and I just felt happy the whole time we were there. Even when I was in pain from walking so much! Here are a few of the highlights from the trip:
- We went to the top of One World Trade Center
- And to the top of the Empire State building
- We explored Central Park
- We visit the Museum of Sex
- We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and had lunch at Grimaldi’s Pizza
- We walked the High Line to the Chelsea Market
- I started having cognitive behavioral therapy for my anxiety after 9 months (!!!) of waiting for an appointment. And while I do think it helped somewhat, I still think there’s a long way to go in terms of learning to manage my mental health.
- We went to see comedian Milton Jones at the Echo.
- Tyrone and I celebrated our 8th anniversary together. We went on a little road trip in North Wales. 💑
- I managed to get tickets to see Electric Light Orchestra next October, and I also got tickets for my parents for Christmas! I did get tickets to see Peter Kay in 2019 (amazing seats too by the way) but he’s had to cancel his tour, so that was heartbreaking. 💔
- I went to see Kasabian with my friend Rebecca. It was my second time seeing them live and, as always, they were incredible! 🎸
- I made a HUGE decision that feels kind of crazy right now. I’ll explain more in early 2018! 🎉
- I started having counseling to help with my anxiety and depression.
- This one has not happened yet…but I will be spending Christmas at home in Shropshire and I can’t wait to spent some time with my family and friends! 🎄
Okay, so there’s definitely more positive things in this list than I thought there would be!
This year I’ve decided not to write a blog post about Empfire in 2017 because, quite frankly, I’ve been pants at blogging this year. But now, with 2018 just around the corner, I feel in a good place and I’m ready to get back into blogging more frequently again. So watch this space!
I hope you all had an amazing year! What have been your highlights of 2017?