You only became what we made you
22nd October 2013
Have I ever wrote a blog entry where I haven’t moaned about anything? I doubt it.
Today’s rant involves a lecturer who is ruining my degree by taking away marks for not putting my name in the correct place on a piece of work. I know, how petty is that? And when the piece of work is marked out of 10, losing a mark is a big thing.
Basically we have been producing maps using a horrible piece of software called Arc GIS. The lecturer puts the instructions on the shared area and we have to work through them to produce a map. These maps make up 60% of the module marks. The other 40% is an exam, and I’m useless at exams.
I also lost marks because I put ‘Kilometres’ as a label on the scale bar when it would have been ‘km’. Why?! Why be so bloody picky when we all know it means that same damn thing?! I lost marks because two of the lines on my map were different colours when they should have been the same. Really, they should be two different colours because they show two different things, and even the example map used two different colours. So I don’t know what all that is about.
It’s really frustrating. The lecturer shouldn’t have taken a mark off for each wrong feature, especially when it is something as stupid as having your name at the top of the page when it should have been in the title. To be quite honest if he was following university protocol there shouldn’t have been a name on the work anyway as marking is supposed to be anonymous.
I’ve written an email of complaint to my tutor. To be honest, I could have included a lot more details about how boring the lectures by him are and how half of the class don’t bother to show up because they know it’s as boring as hell. The lecturer is new and is covering the maternity leave of one of my favourite lecturers. I know if she was teaching the module then I wouldn’t be having this problem. He doesn’t speak very good English which is a problem. I’m in no way knocking international lecturers. I have one from Greece, one from Mexico and one from France, and they also speak incredible English. This lecturer seems to take no interest in his students and he doesn’t want to help.
He even accused my friend of not turning up for lectures and not handing her maps in. What a bastard! I’ve been to every lecture she has and I know for a fact he doesn’t register the attendance. Also, I watched her hand him her map, so he’s talking a load of nonsense.
If there is one thing that annoys me it’s lectures who don’t bother, or just make your life miserable. At the end of the day my £9,000 a year is paying their wages. It seems unfair that sometimes all you get for your money is a 60 slide PowerPoint with white backgrounds and black Arial text.
I really hope my complaint gets somewhere. I want a remark or even a change in mark scheme for the next GIS practical. If not, at this rate, I’m probably going to do awful in the module.